Thursday, December 29, 2011

More starting problems...

I went out to start the car some time last week and it was not working again. The first thing we tackled on Wed was the spark problem. All connections were correct. We swapped HEI modules, but no luck. I tested the coil and it was not within parameters, so we replaced it. That resolved the problem. It started up and ran much better than last time. It bogged down while accelerating up the driveway, but I had no more problems with it.We drove it around the block a few times to see how it was doing and it was much improved. There's still no power, but it is a 30 year old car. The car had 110 hp new. I'm guessing we're at 60-75 hp. Luckily, we have a spare engine that we plan on rebuilding and swapping for more power/reliability, but that's all time and money dependent.

We also swapped in the aluminum junk yard radiator. We ran the car without fans. It didn't overheat when moving, but the temp would climb while sitting.

Today, I hauled the old Datsun 620 truck to the scrap yard. It was loaded down with all the spare metal I could find just to make it worth their while and to clean up the garage. It's kinda sad seeing it go, but it wasn't doing me any good just sitting there. I kept some stuff to sell. If it doesn't sell in the next month, I'll just junk it too. Before I dropped it off the dolly, I pulled the 4 headlights. They are all halogen. I've installed them on the Celi for a free light upgrade.

I returned the wheels we bought 2 weeks ago. They wouldn't take my steelies for a core return, so the aluminum wheels went back. That's $210 saved. I'll check CL and see if I can find a set of 15" wheels for less.

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there's still a bunch to do. One thing at a time and it will get done.


No comments:

Post a Comment