Thursday, February 2, 2012

Some progress

Welcome to our newest team member, Joe. Joe has a background in a bunch of different motor sports from dirt bike racing to circle track racing. I look forward to the help and knowledge he brings to the team.


I was again unable to get the diff fill bolt off. I think I'll weld a bolt head to it so I can get a socket on it and try again. Do we really need to change the diff oil? Probably not, but it's good preventative maintenance.

The next project was replacing the pittman arm for steering. We pulled the steering box off the car to get the old pittman arm off. I ended up cracking the cap while trying to bang it off and dropping it on the floor. I think I can pull just the cap from the JY and we'll be good to go. On the bright side, I now see that I can unbolt the shaft from the cap and take it out of the steering box to get the pittman arm off of it.




The last project of the night was the most exciting. We started on the JY motor. The hardest part was jacking it up to get it on the engine stand. We didn't have a lift, so we jacked the pallet up, put it on jack stands, then jacked the engine up off the pallet. After it was secure, we started pulling it apart. The combustion chambers looked good with no scoring. There's a lot of carbon build up, but we'll clean that out. The valves looked good with the requisite carbon build up. The head gasket was good. There was no water or metal in the oil pan. We're going to clean it up and put it back together with new gaskets.




No comments:

Post a Comment