Thursday, February 18, 2010

Work on the car (from old forums)

Work on the car

by clowntrigger on 22 Oct 2009 12:59

Eric and I will be sanding on the car tonight (Thursday 10/22). It's going to be a short session because the lure of the sander is too much for my boys (soon to be 7 and 3) and keeps them up and out past their bed time. We're going to try to do 2 nights every week until we get it done. Hey, it's a small car, it should take too long.

If you want to stop by and see the car, let me know.
clowntrigger
Site Admin
Posts: 35
Joined: 09 Sep 2009 12:26

Re: Work on the car

by clowntrigger on 23 Oct 2009 15:10

We put in a new engine and the car rocks! I think it's pushing about 1/4 hp at this time.
Image
clowntrigger
Site Admin
Posts: 35
Joined: 09 Sep 2009 12:26

Re: Work on the car

by clowntrigger on 27 Oct 2009 00:21

Nothing going on this week. Birthdays and travel are preempting work. We'll be back at it next Tue/Thur 530-700 pm at my house. This is also a great time for the curious to stop by, take a look and share some beer with us that you brought. :-)
clowntrigger
Site Admin
Posts: 35
Joined: 09 Sep 2009 12:26

Re: Work on the car

by clowntrigger on 18 Nov 2009 19:46

Have been stuck on trying to get bed off truck. Mike recommended a nut splitter, so I picked up one from HF today. Hopefully I can give it a try before I leave for the weekend. If not, I'll have Tues/Wed of next week at home to work on the car and I'll report back.
clowntrigger
Site Admin
Posts: 35
Joined: 09 Sep 2009 12:26

Re: Work on the car

by clowntrigger on 24 Nov 2009 15:45

Woohoo! Success on bolt removal. I was able to remove a bolt using the nut splitter.

Image Image

So, it looks like Eric will have some work to do this evening. :-)
clowntrigger
Site Admin
Posts: 35
Joined: 09 Sep 2009 12:26

Re: Work on the car

by clowntrigger on 17 Dec 2009 13:29

We ran out of steam on the nut splitter. It worked it's magic on 4, but the other 4 were just too much for it to handle. It is now resting quietly in a padded tool box drawer. In it's place, I brought out the sawzall with a metal cutting blade. I went through the remaining 4 in the time it took to get the splitter setup and turning on one. Live and learn. So along with the news of all the bed bolts being off, we removed the bed. It was heavy, unwieldy and a pain in the ass to move, but we got it off and in the back yard. Plus the gas tank was attached to the bed, so that had to be removed.

Next on the agenda it replacing the back tires with a set that will hold air. I'll get pictures so you can see the tread wear. It's just strange. The ignition module (? where the key goes in) needs a new key. I lost the other set. We were hot wiring it, but that's a pain. And we will need to mount the gas tank so we can drive it in and around the yard. I'll need to recruit someone with welding skill to help with that.

After that, it will be cab removal time. Oh, this part is going to be glorious, part removal heaven. Looks like the steering column and heater core need to come out. After that, it's kinda guess work and much referencing to the Haynes manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment