Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's Alive! (No, really, it is!)

We had a full crew last night. Ed from work joined, Ed, Eric and myself. We went through the whole troubleshooting procedure for a car that won't run. Fuel to the carb, electronics, TDC, timing, etc. We ended up correcting a few things.
1. Replaced the existing coil with a JY Bosch coil from a BMW.
2. Replaced mechanical fuel pump with another mechanical fuel pump.
3. Added the rest of the test gas to the tank, about 2 gallons. We may have a pickup problem, but It's pretty darn low in the tank. I may be able to get another 1/4" down.
4. Determined the gasket leak at the carb base was causing stalling problems. This will be fixed with a new gasket or some copper sealant.

It was a very good night. We were able to get the car to start repeatedly and run for more than 2 minutes at a time. I noticed the instrument cluster would work sometimes, and sometimes it wouldn't. We'll investigate that if it continues to act up. I image with the removal of most of the dash and the multiple unpluggings, we could have jiggled something loose.

I am very happy the car is running. I think the only thing that kept me from test driving it around the block was the 3 cars blocking the driveway. And that was a good thing.

Now to finish the cage and go through the punch list.

No comments:

Post a Comment