Thursday, October 13, 2011

Should've spent the evening drinking beer...

I reran the power wire for the external control/ignition panel. It then proceeded to melt the wimpy ground wire when trying to start the car. I reconnected the keyed ignition switch and it worked with no problems. I'm trying to remember why I put the control panel in and my memory fails me, so it will come out permanently.

Ed and I were able to get the car started and running. I had to keep my foot on the gas or it would die. Which it did when I got out of the car and let it idle on its own. With the exhaust heat shield and emission pipping off, it sounded pretty throaty for a 32 year old inline 4 engine. We'll plug the 2 emissions holes and other cracks on the exhaust manifold to fix that. We tried to restart the car, but it wasn't playing nicely again. It did kick over with starter fluid, but seems like the carb isn't getting gas. I think I'm going to wire and plumb the external fuel pump.

On the cage front, we worked on getting a backstay in, but I was unable to get my brain to engage and figure out the angle of the cuts to make it work. We got it almost there and decided to call it a night. A bit frustrating, but that's how it goes some evenings.

I also discovered our door bars are too short! We set the main loop back as far as possible, and our door bars are about 8-12" too short. I'll contact the roll cage guy and see what he says. I'm up for just doing this locally. We probably won't get to them until after the first of the year at this rate, so I'm not stressing on it.

A big thanks to Ed for putting up with me and we hope to see Eric next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment