Saturday, November 12, 2011

Movin' On Up

I worked on the car today to get it ready for a car meet tomorrow at CU-ICAR. I got the sill bars tacked in and 2 of the right door bars. I installed the seat and 4/5ths of the harness. I mounted the shoulder straps and the left and right straps. I used the existing seatbelt mounting holes. I did not mount the anti-submarine belt.

I also dropped another fuel pickup line in the tank. I tried to get the electric pump to pull from it, but it was having problems. I hooked up the mechanical pump and it worked great! I got the car out of the garage and up to temperature. I took it down the block and back. It had a squeaking sound in the rear wheels that ended up being mis-installed brake springs. I also noticed a coolant leak in the radiator.I ran some sea foam through the system, but it was coming out as soon as it sucked it up. The great part is that some of the smoke came from the exhaust header where the cracks are. Those are some serious cracks that need to be fixed.

My impression from the test drive: It's a terribly, wonderful crapcan. There's too much play in the steering. The shocks bounce and bounce and bounce, then bounce some more. The front right brake locks up under hard braking. And there is very little power, probably from the exhaust header leak.

We still have some work to do, but it's looking better!

No comments:

Post a Comment